The UW Complex Family Planning Program provides exceptional, individualized care in a respectful, supportive, and friendly environment.
Our physicians are board-certified specialists who have advanced fellowship training in contraception and abortion care.
Our faculty in the Division of Complex Family Planning are:
- Sarah W. Prager, MD, MAS
- Lyndsey S. Benson, MD, MAS
- Jennifer Chin, MD, MS
- Emily M. Godfrey, MD, MPH, FAAFP
- Elizabeth Harrington, MD, MPH
- Lauren Owens, MD, MPH
- Ivana Thompson, MD, MCSI
- To provide expert complex family planning, pregnancy loss, and abortion care and consultation to local and regional communities
- To investigate critical clinical questions and conduct innovative research to advance the field of complex family planning
- To teach students, residents, fellows and the greater medical and non-medical community to further knowledge and understanding of contraception, abortion, and pregnancy loss
- To be leaders in reproductive health advocacy, ensuring the rights of women and their partners in achieving their reproductive goals
What we do
We offer a broad range of family planning services, including:
- Birth control: all types including IUDs, pills, emergency contraception, ring, patch, and implants
- Complex contraception for patients with chronic medical conditions
- Pregnancy testing and options counseling
- Medical abortion ("Abortion Pill")
- First and second-trimester surgical abortion services
- Sterilization (tubal ligation, Essure® tubal occlusion)
- Management of miscarriage
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment
- Interpreter services for non-English-speaking patients
Sites of practice
Family Planning at UW Medicine takes place at the Family Planning Clinic, part of the Women's Health Care Center at UWMC-Roosevelt. Some of our faculty provide care at Harborview Medical Center and the VA. Our core faculty and fellows also provide abortion care several days a month at the Cedar River Clinics.
Physicians in the Family Planning Clinic are board-certified specialists who have advanced fellowship training in contraception and abortion.
Our staff and physicians provide the highest quality of care for our patients and their families, and we are committed to offering family planning services in a nonjudgmental and caring clinic.
We offer comprehensive and expert family planning services for women who seek birth control options, treatment for miscarriage, elective abortion, and for women who desire termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies or maternal health conditions.
In addition, our physicians, genetic counselors and social workers offer expert decision and process support.
The Family Planning Clinic is integrated into the University of Washington's OB/GYN services at UW Roosevelt Women's Healthcare Clinic. A patient's experience is similar to a general doctor's visit. Our patients are not identifiable from any others who seek care.