In 1999, the UW's Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology was one of 20 OB/GYN sites chosen nationwide and funded for a five-year period by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to be a Women's Reproductive Health Research (WRHR) Career Development Training Center. In 2020, our department received a perfect score on the WRHR K12 renewal application.
Career Development Program
The long-term goal of the UW WRHR program is to recruit and facilitate the career development of obstetrician-gynecologists who have demonstrated research potential and are committed to a career in academic medicine.
Our program is unique in its broad approach to the WRHR career development award. We have assembled an internationally renowned mentor group from an exceptionally wide range of disciplines. Scholars build collaborative teams, with obstetrics and gynecology research as the core activity.
We offer an individually tailored educational program, unlike most fellowships available in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
The principal training format is a mentored experience with a successful investigator (clinical or basic research) for a minimum of two, but up to five, years.
During this period, the scholar devotes 75% of their time to research. The research scope is open for the scholar and mentor to direct, and encompasses all areas of obstetrics and gynecology and its subspecialties.
Currently the UW is one of 15 national WRHR centers. We can support a maximum of two scholars at any given time.
- MD, DO or MD/PhD with completed OB/GYN residency (completed fellowship is optional)
- No previous NIH independent research awards (e.g. R01, R29, U01) or more than 3 years on a K award
- United States citizen, non-citizen national, or permanent citizen with verification of legal admission
- No more than 4 years from attaining board eligibility in specialty training
- Individuals from under-represented backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Salary Support & Appointment
- Appointments are for a minimum of two and maximum of five years
- Salary support will be at the instructor/assistant professor level
- Additional $25,000 annually for research support/course work
How to Apply & contact
There are no available scholar positions at this time, but please email email@example.com to express interest in future positions.