When COVID-19 first appeared in Washington State, UW Medicine was positioned to lead at the U.S. forefront of the pandemic. Here is a media coverage list of coronavirus commentary from our OB/GYN experts in March and April.
Should women delay pregnancy during COVID-19? - Canada’s national newspaper, The Globe & Mail, interviewed Dr. Edith Cheng.
'I never thought this would be reality': Moms react to giving birth without their partners - “A UW Medicine official” (Dr. Cheng) is quoted at the end of the article, saying that precautions evolve. The piece was picked up by NBC Boston.
Pregnant? What to Know About the Coronavirus - Right As Rain interviewed Drs. Edith Cheng and Kristina Adams Waldorf about COVID-19 and pregnancy.
Some Pregnant Women in New York City Will Have to Deliver Babies Alone - Dr. Cat Albright is quoted in the New York Times.
This wasn't my plan: How coronavirus is affecting pregnancy, labor, delivery and new parenthood - Dr. Ali Lewis is interviewed by Seattle’s Child magazine.
Inclusion of pregnant and breastfeeding women in COVID-19 therapeutic trials - This op-ed from Drs. Kristina Adams Waldorf and Sylvia La Course in the Journal for Clinical Infectious Diseases, calls for the inclusion of pregnant women in COVID-19 trials and therapy testing. They feel very strongly this segment of the population has been excluded through outdated thinking.
What is [the] effect of COVID-19 on pregnancy? UW’s Kristina Adams Waldorf wants to deliver answers - Dr. Kristina Adams Waldorf is GeekWire’s Geek of the Week.
- 50,000 N95 masks delivered to UW researcher’s home thanks to Elon Musk, Tesla - The Seattle Times reports on the arrival of a large PPE donation through Dr. Adams Waldorf.
- UW obstetrician to study COVID-19 impacts on pregnancy - KOMO News published an online profile of Dr. Adams Waldorf and her COVID-related research. The Seattle P-I republished the web article.
- Lab studying coronavirus’s impact on pregnancy - In this clip, Q13 FOX News shares how Dr. Adams Waldorf shifted her lab’s research focus from Zika to COVID-19 to study its impact on pregnancy in real time.
- COVID-19 cases grow - In this clip, KIMA-TV News (Yakima) shares Dr. Adams Waldorf’s thoughts on what we know and don’t know about COVID-19’s impact on pregnancy and a child’s development once born.
- CDC recommends pregnant women give birth with no family present during coronavirus outbreak - Dr. Adams Waldorf’s research on the effect of COVID-19 on newborns is mentioned in a KING5 web article about CDC recommendations after labor and delivery.
- Abortion care is not "elective." Providers scramble to provide access during pandemic - Prism interviewed Drs. Laura Sienas and Melissa Paulen.
- Ghost Town Seattle Shows How Coronavirus Shuts Down a City - Dr. Paulen describes her commute to the hospital in the Wall Street Journal.
- There are benefits to holding off on pregnancy during the coronavirus pandemic. It's still up to you, experts say - Dr. Laura Sienas is quoted in Business Insider about ACOG’s pandemic-related guidelines for natural conception.
- Fear of the unknown': U.S. pregnant women worried by lack of virus research - Reuters interviewed Dr. Sienas. The article was picked up by Yahoo! News; This is Money; The Daily Mail, and a Spanish publication called Capital Queretaro in Mexico.
- Maternal mortality during coronavirus - WOSU Public Radio (NPR in central Ohio) interviewed Dr. Sienas.
Pregnant and worried about coronavirus? 'The hard part is we just don't have the data' - Dr. Sienas is interviewed by USA Today.