The Tacoma/Pierce County community takes pride in its independence from Seattle/King County. Both patients and medical providers expect that all recommended care and treatment be available in Tacoma. Notwithstanding the above, there is frequent and reliable public transportation, including express busses and commuter trains that students may choose to use.
Students may apply to this clerkship through the WPMG Office of Medical Education Student application.
Housing arrangements for your stay in Tacoma will be coordinated by Kareena Andreas (253-403-8684). Please contact her a few days before going to Tacoma to find out when and where to pick up the keys to your apartment.
Credentialing Paperwork (Kaiser Permanente):
Email Kendra Burnett the following:
- Confidentiality & Security Agreement
- Privacy & Security Training
- Privacy & Security Training Quiz
- Extern Agreement
Credentialing Paperwork (CHI Franciscan):
Email Michelle Thill the following documents:
- Credentialing Paperwork
- Provide copy of driver's license
- Provide Copy of CV
- Provide Letter of Good Standing
- Provide Immunization Records including TB and influenza
Students Must Complete BOTH Sets of Paperwork
Credentialing paperwork is due to Kaiser Permanente's Graduate Medical Education Office no later than 4 weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
* Your site director is Dr. Werden
Inpatient activities will be at St. Joseph's Hospital. Students must complete the Franciscan Health Paperwork and submit to CHI credentialing contact four weeks before the start date of their rotation to ensure all credentialing paperwork for St. Joseph's Hospital is submitted (this is in addition to the credentialing paperwork required for for Kaiser Permanente).
St. Joseph's Hospital offers free valet parking, which is located at the front of the hospital next to the Emergency Room.
. We require the following vaccination records documenting and confirming students are current with their full set of immunizations – With immunization dates included:
- MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) vaccination (2 shots)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccination (2 shots)
- Hepatitis B vaccination (3 shots)
- Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) vaccination (1 shot)
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (TB) [negative] within the last 12 months prior to the start date of your upcoming clinical rotation
- Annual Influenza vaccination
- How to access your compliance documents
Students spend one day a week on call, including night call, with the following day off. Still, if there is no labor we often send students home and we will call them if anything changes. Students have the option to be in the office the next day. One student will be on call on Monday and one on Thursay to avoid post-call happening during required student didactics in Seattle.
Students are required to attend weekly didactics at UWMC every Wednesday morning. Didactics are from 8am-1pm; the schedule is handed out at required clerkship orientation.