UW Obstetrics and Gynecology Diversity Sub-Internship
The Diversity Sub-Internship is a funded experience designed to give two students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to experience the outstanding training that is available in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Washington.
The University of Washington Medical Center serves a diverse group of patients from the five-state region of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho (WWAMI). We care for a substantial population of urban and rural underserved patients from a variety of socioeconomic and racial/ethnic backgrounds.
In this OB/GYN course, students will spend four weeks rotating on one of our various services, including High Risk Obstetrics 682 and Gynecologic Oncology 681. This sub-internship will be largely housed at the University of Washington Medical Center
Students will participate in daily clinical services and will also have the opportunity to attend resident teaching sessions, such as Grand Rounds and Morbidity and Mortality conference. In addition, students will have the opportunity to meet frequently with key members of the department including the Chair and Residency Program Director.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Competitive applicants for the Department of OB/GYN Diversity Sub-Internship will have demonstrated academic excellence, as well as strong leadership and extracurricular experience, such as involvement in activities that have made an impact on the care of underserved patients.
Applicants should have a background that offers diversity in the health care setting.
Preference will be given to those who will be full-time fourth-year students who plan to apply for a residency in OB/GYN and are in good standing at an LCME-accredited medical school.
Applicants must be on track to complete all required clerkships through their home medical school prior to beginning this internship. Funded Visiting Student positions will be available during the months of late July though late October, 2021. Qualified students will be invited for a residency interview during their rotation. https://depts.washington.edu/obgyn/education/residency-program.html
Funding includes a stipend of up to $1,500 to cover housing and travel costs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following documents:
- Current Curriculum Vitae, including a list of required clerkship grades.
- One-page personal statement detailing the diversity you will bring to the institution, your interest in OB/GYN, as well as any specialty interests, and interest in the University of Washington and Seattle.
- One letter of recommendation from a clinical faculty member
- Official medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1 score report
- USMLE Step 2 score report (if available)
- Completed application: UW OB/GYN Diversity Application
- Complete the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) form. https://students-residents.aamc.org/attending-medical-school/article/visiting-student-learning-opportunities/ and indicate the sub-I you would like to take (681,682)
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Department’s Diversity Committee. Applications are due by May 1st and selected applicants will be notified by June 1st. Applicants not selected for the funded pool may, if interested, be entered to be considered into the general pool of applicants for visiting rotations.
Please submit your application materials and forward any questions to: OB/GYN Clerkship Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org