Recent advancements in minimally invasive surgical technologies mean that patients now have a wider range of alternatives to conventional "open" surgery than they did just 10 years ago.
The da Vinci Surgical System provides patients with new, minimally invasive surgical procedures that offer significant advantages over traditional "open" surgeries. Even complex surgeries can be performed using these robotic-assisted, minimally invasive procedures which utilize hand-wrist motions through small 1–2 cm incisions.
Patients may experience the following benefits:
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions
- Less post-operative pain and discomfort
- Less risk of infection
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery and return to normal daily activities
- Less scarring at the incision sites
Due to the patient and procedure specific nature of surgery, these benefits cannot be guaranteed.
Amenable surgeries might include:
- Radical hysterectomy
- Removal of the tubes and ovaries (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy)
- Uterine (endometrial) cancer staging
- Lymph node dissection
- Removal of small ovarian masses
- Uterine fribroid removal
- Endometriosis surgery
- Repair of pelvic floor disorders, such as vaginal prolapse